We have now moved some of our training content onto Zoom and will continue to keep small, discrete and informal groups to make it as meaningful as possible. We are acutely aware of the current financial challenges for freelancers. As such, we have secured funding from Screen Skills to ensure that these Sessions will be run at no cost to participants during this time.
There will be a range of Sessions and participants are asked to apply once each one goes live. Here are details of the first round – there will be more coming over the next few weeks.
Each session covers:
- The role and department you are keen to work in
- Your current skills and experience
- Where the gaps are and how to fill them
- How to raise the profile and promote your successes
- A CV check to ensure it is ‘film industry’ relevant
- Identify who you need to contact, how and when
- How to keep a working database to network efficiently
This is the ideal time to be working on portfolios and we are often asked how art department assistants should present their work effectively. So during this down time, we will be working with established Supervising Art Directors and Set Decorators to run TP. Portfolio Sessions.
Sessions will cover the following;
- an honest appraisal of your portfolio from practicing art department professionals
- constructive advice on how best to present your work
- what to include and what to remove
- how to make general improvements
HOW TO BOOK
Download an Application Form via our website and return to email@example.com
EVERYTHING YOU WANT TO KNOW ABOUT …. ACTION PROPS
A Conversation with Lizzie Bravo
There are so many questions when you are trying to break into the industry, move into a new department or move up a grade. It’s not always possible to ask these when you’re working or reach the most experienced practitioners as they are often too busy. So we are using downtime to create this opportunity!
Lizzie Bravo will be joining us to explain what the role of the Action Props Buyer is. She will be talking to us about how she works in this position and the skills and knowledge you need to succeed. Lizzie’s recent credits include Cruella, Bohemian Rhapsody, Wonder Woman. She has worked in the Set Decorating department as a Petty Cash Buyer and Assistant Set Decorator and has over 10 years experience in these roles on feature films and HETVDs.
Download an Application Form via our website and return to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 4th May.
INDUSTRY ‘TOP TIP’
This month’s top tip comes from VFX Supervisor Andrew Whitehouse, who’s recent work can be seen in Alex Garland’s DEVS, BBC2. It’s great advice for anyone working in craft and technical grades, irrespective of level…..
“Get a daily routine of working going and just make stuff.
Don’t be too analytical, just keep doing it.
Some of it will be good, some less so, but now is the time to do.
Reflecting upon it can come later when you’re feeling more grounded.”
THINGS WE HAVE BEEN ENJOYING THIS MONTH
- Spring feels more this year – Everything is quieter (except the birds and how lovely is that?), the greens are more vivid and the blossom is heavier…. If you want to indulge the last hurrah of blossom check out Charlotte Bland’s insta and website. Gorgeous photos.
- Ozark…late to this but we are certainly getting through it! Not seen anything this repeatedly and effectively shocking for a while….
- Food and drink has become a major factor ….hasn’t it? Tony’s Chocolonely chocolate is certainly helping.