We enjoyed a great week on the latest Props Course at Shepperton Studios in July. A big thank you to Prop Master Muffin Green, Asst Prop Master Ben Johnson, Chargehand Mike Syson and Storeperson Ben Hopwood. It was particularly encouraging to have Dressing Prop Alex Lanning join us as a tutor – since completing the Props Course in 2015, Alex has worked on The Untitled Danny Boyle/Richard Curtis film, Mary Queen of Scots, The Favourite, Paddington 2, Annihilation, Dunkirk and Bridget Jones’ Baby – proof indeed that this works! Everyone worked very hard and we wish them all the very best of luck as they progress through the department. Since completing the course, five of the trainees have already been given contracts on studio productions. Fantastic news – hope they put everything they have learnt into practice….! We are confident the others won’t be far behind…
The latest round of our mentoring network has now drawn to a close. A HUGE thank you to the amazing mentors who joined us on this round:
- Supervising Art Director Denis Schnegg
- Camera Operator Peter Robertson
- 1st AC Peter Byrne
- Producer Gavin Humphries
- Head of Development Studio Canal Dan MacRae
- Assistant Director Zoe Liang
- Asst Set Dec Netty Chapman
- Asst Prop Master Ben Johnson
- Head of Development Sister Pictures Alice Tyler
The next round of this successful scheme is now open – an application form can be found on our website here. Deadline for applications is 5th September 2018.
CV & NETWORKING WORKSHOP – September 2018
Our afternoon CV and Networking Workshop will check that it is written in the correct film industry format and that it is reaching the right people at the right time. We’ll also look at how to network effectively and when to follow up with people you have talked to. These are purposefully small groups of up to 6 people so that we can focus on each individual approach to industry.
One afternoon can make a huge difference in understanding how to present yourself and reach the people you need. During this session we will look at:
- What to include in an industry CV and what to leave out
- Who to contact, how and when to do it and how to follow up
Please get in touch if you are interested email@example.com
TOP ‘INDUSTRY’ TIP
THINGS WE HAVE BEEN ENJOYING THIS MONTH
- The news that Creative Skillset training funding is being released in the next few months – music to our ears! Great to see the beginnings of the new 10 point plan being put into action by Gareth Unwin Ellis and the Film Team.
- London Film Festival line up has been announced – and it’s looking good! Not just for seeing some long-awaited new films, but also for seeing what some of our trainees have been up to. Particularly looking forward to seeing The Favourite (which had several of our Props trainees doing great work with lots of candles!)
- Mini breaks! Been doing lots of trips to different UK cities and new counties recently – some work, some not – and have loved being reminded how diverse and beautiful the UK is. Spectacular locations – cities, sea and countryside – and some amazing pubs! We are going to be running far more national and regional programmes throughout 2018/9 and really looking forward to it. Keep an eye on the website for more information.